Republicans win both chambers of the North Carolina General Assembly (NCGA) for the first time since 1898 with support from Art Pope-backed groups. Tom Fetzer is chair of the NCGOP.
- David Powers, involved with fundraising for Real Jobs NC, joins the BOG.
- NCGA cuts over $400 million from the UNC System budget.
- NCGA passes landmark conservative tax reform that slashes taxes for corporations and places the major tax burden on working and middle-class families with major support from Robert Rucho.
- The Opportunity Scholarship Act passes, which siphons public dollars to private school vouchers in legislation sponsored by Rob Bryan, lobbying from Darrell Allison from an organization co-founded by Steve Long.
- J. Alex Mitchell’s 751 South development project is saved by Tim Moore in a House Rules Committee.
- Memo leaks from House Speaker Thom Tillis’ leadership team touting Doyle Parrish’ contributions to his campaign.
- Doyle Parrish, Steve Long, James Holmes, Harry Smith are elected to the BOG.
- NC House Speaker Thom Tillis is elected to US Senate.
- NCGA rolls out a budget plan that would have closed Elizabeth City State University.
- HB2 passes, which sanctions discrimination against queer and trans-North Carolinians.
- Achievement School District legislation, which allows charter organizations to take over the state’s lowest-performing schools, passes. Rob Bryan’s organization later benefits.
- NCGA proposes a bill that would slash tuition at five universities which would result in revenue losses of $60 million each year.
- Trump is elected in November.
- Harry Smith explores a possible apartment deal at ECU that would be profitable to him.
- The original version of the 2017 NCGA budget included a $4 million cut to the UNC School of Law.
- BOG passes the UNC litigation ban for UNC Center for Civil Rights.
- NCGA passes Campus Free Speech law. Tension over Silent Sam escalates.
- Darrell Allison, Kellie Blue, Rob Bryan, Leo Daughtry, and Robert Rucho are elected to the BOG.
- Carol Folt resigns.
- ECU chancellor resigns.
- BOG and Vidant Hospital clash.